[Special Note: If you have any clippings, photos or memorabilia of the CSA's past (pre-1990), please get in touch with our webmaster.]
In 1935, Hiram Deats, an early president of the American Philatelic Society and avid Confederate collector, meets August Dietz, Sr., founder of the Confederate Stamp Alliance.
Photos below were located for us by Trish Kaufmann...
This photo of MacBride, Weatherly and Dietz appeared in the Spring 1982 issue of The Dixie Philatelist (Official publication of The Southern Philatelic Federation), Volume XVI, Number 1, courtesy of H.L. "Sonny" Hill, who was the editor at the time. The photo was taken at the Society of Philatelic Americans convention in New York City on August 15, 1952 by Adrien Boutrelle of New York.
A. Earl Weatherly, probably in the late 1960's, posing among some of his prized postal history and exhibit awards. Photo courtesy of Tony Crumbley.
Title page from Earl Weatherly's exhibit.
Gen. Malpass was CSA President from 1955-57, a prolific writer and researcher, particularly on patriotics of both North and South. Part of the story of his collection appeared in The Confederate Philatelist, Volume 50, Number 1, Whole Number 344, January-March 2005, which appears online at this site.
Lawrence L. Shenfield was the first chairman of the Authentication Committee and an active part of the CSA from 1945-1968. Shenfield co-chaired the editorial board for the Dietz Confederate Catalog and Handbook.
Generals Charlie and Lucy Kilbourne are presented with the crystal bowl at SIPEX in 1966 where they won the International Champion of Champions with their unequaled Confederate exhibit. Presenting the prestigious award is Svend Yort, as John Boker looks on. They were well loved in Confederate circles, always ready to invite you into their home to show their spectacular collection and share their knowledge.
Front row, left to right: Leonard H. Hartmann, Sherrell Nunnelley, M. Clinton McGee, Billy Matz, Dr. J.A. Graves. Back row, August H. Lentz, Dr. Thomas Ray, Floyd Likins, Hubert C. Skinner and Nicholas G. Koutroulis. This photo appeared in the May 1968 Confederate Philatelist and was contributed by the then editor, Leonard Hartmann.
M. Clinton McGee, at left, enjoys a moment with Robert Wiseman at NOPEX '68. Wiseman, who was the CSA President from 1957-1959, was best known to Confederate collectors for his plating of the "Frameline" issues. McGee was CSA President from 1967-1969. An Alabama law professor, McGee is responsible for incorporating the Alliance and getting our non-profit status with IRS.
Trish Kaufmann in 1981. She was editor of The Confederate Philatelist from 1970-1987.
Dick Byne presents Trish Kaufmann with the Haydn Myer
ward at the 1980 Annual CSA Convention.
Robert S. Phillips was CSA President from 1966-67
and died while in office. He was a specialist in North Carolina postal history.
Historic CSA application circa 1939 with dues of $1 a year. If you pay after March 1st, it's only 50-cents!
Philatelic luminaries, including many well known Confederate collectors, pose in front of the office of The Virginia Philatelist in 1898. From left to right are Charles F. W. Moser, John Paalzow, W. H. Boschen, August Dietz, Franklin L. Kerns, Franklin Sterns, Jr. (on the steps), J. J. Knotts, Capt. John E. Weckert, Major John F. Mayer, Thomas Christian, Charles P. Davis, and Henry C. Scott, Jr. The building is the old "Goddin Hall", which housed the last post office of the Confederacy in Richmond and was the location of August Dietz's first printery. The historic old building was razed many years ago.
A Brief History of the Confederate Stamp Alliance.
We are grateful to Gen. Richard L. Calhoun and Gen. Trish Kaufmann for providing us with the following story of how the Confederate Stamp Alliance was founded and has flourished through the years. We will be adding to this page on into the future. If you have any articles and/or photographs that pertain to our history, please contact our webmaster, Bob Rufenacht
Prior to the end of the Civil War, individuals began collecting the stamps issued by the Postmasters of various southern cities and the Confederate Government. Information on various aspects of Confederate Philately date back to the 1870s when early stamp catalogs and monthly journals published data that was presented to them. By the early 1900s, with the increased popularity of stamp collecting, many fakes and counterfeits stamps, including those of the Confederacy, were being offered to unsuspecting collectors. It wasn't until the early 1920s that authoritative information on Confederate stamps and postal history, based on research and knowledge, was offered to serious collectors.
In 1924, an avid researcher and collector, who was also a printer and editor, began writing articles on the subject of Confederate postal history. Mr. August Dietz, Sr., owner of the Dietz Publishing Company and editor of the Southern Philatelist published in Richmond Virginia, began providing informative articles to aid the increasing number of Confederate collectors. Mr. Dietz, born in Prussia, moved with his parents to Richmond in 1871 and began collecting as early as 1880. An engraver trained in lithography and typography, Mr. Dietz understood the printing processes necessary for the preparation of the various Confederate postage stamps.
With his in-depth knowledge of printing and interest in Confederate postal history, it has long been speculated that Mr. Dietz obtained some of his information directly from the postmasters, printers and/or clerks that had firsthand knowledge of many of the actual philatelic items used during the Civil War. By 1896, Mr. Dietz was the editor of The Virginia Philatelist, a monthly stamp magazine printed in Richmond. In March 1901, he started his own company, the Dietz Printing Company in Richmond. In subsequent years, he operated the company with his son, August Dietz. Jr. as Business Manager, and published The Southern Philatelist (1924 - 1929), The New South Philatelist (1929 - 1933), Stamp and Cover Collecting (1933 - 1936), and Stamp and Cover Collecting Review (1937 - 1939).
Each of the publications on which he worked contained articles related to Confederate philately, including new finds, plating research, illustrations of postal markings, and answers to Questions from collectors. He also wrote several reference books on Confederate philately, including the 1929 treatise, The Postal Service of the Confederate States of America. That book, often referred to as "The '29 Dietz," included most of the information printed in his earlier publications. Today, August Dietz Sr. is considered the Father of Confederate Philately. A short biography of August Dietz Sr., appears in the September 1900 (Vol. IV, No.1) issue of the Virginia Philatelist.
By mid-1934, a small group of serious Confederate collectors was beginning to emerge. In February 1935, Dr. Marye Y. Dabney, another enthusiastic Confederate collector and friend of August Dietz, wrote to Mr. Dietz and suggested that an organization be formed for the more intensive study of Confederates, the exchange of relevant data, and the dissemination of acquired knowledge. The name of the organization suggested by Dr. Dabney was the Confederate Stamp Alliance, a name that has continued to this day. The idea quickly caught on and Mr. Dietz welcomed each new member and conferred upon him or her the honorary title of Colonel. In October 1948, the membership reciprocated and bestowed on him the first honorary title of General.
By early 1937, the Confederate Stamp Alliance had so far enlisted 85 members, 81 of whom were still active members. In April 1937, the Alliance decided to issue membership numbers to the 81 active members, based on an alphabetical membership list. Thus Colonel Earl B. Antrim became CSA member number 1, Colonel Stanley B. Ashbrook became CSA member number 2, and so forth. In August of that year, the Confederate Stamp Alliance held its first national convention in Asheville, North Carolina.
In 1940, Mr. Dietz discontinued publication of The Stamp and Cover Collecting Review and began publishing a 4-page pamphlet, The Confederate Bulletin, exclusively for the members of the Confederate Stamp Alliance. During World War II interest and activities in the Confederate Stamp Alliance declined and the organization remained informal, although The Confederate Bulletin continued until August 1952. In 1944, Colonel Haydn Myer the Secretary-Treasurer of the CSA, took the lead in revitalizing the organization. He began printing a monthly newsletter for the membership, discussing activities and general interests of the members. Renewed interest and enthusiasm in the Confederate Stamp Alliance began. In August 1945, the second national convention of the CSA was held in Newark, New Jersey, in conjunction with the annual American Philatelic Society exhibition. In April 1938, the Confederate Stamp Alliance adopted a Constitution and By-Laws which, from time to time, have been revised and amended to meet the changing needs of the Alliance. From the mid-1940s, interest in Confederate Philately and Civil War history in general grew steadily as the nation moved towards the Civil War Centennial of 1961-1965.
In 1952, the Trustees honored the dedication and hard work of the former Secretary- Treasurer, General Haydn Myer (the second member to receive the honorary title of General in October 1948), and created the first Confederate Stamp Alliance service award in his name. The Hadyn Myer Award may be presented annually by the Trustees for distinguished service to the Confederate Stamp Alliance. Similarly, in 1962 the Trustees created the August Dietz Award. This award, in honor of the many years of dedicated Confederate philatelic research and writing by General August Dietz, may be presented annually by the Trustees for distinguished research and writing in the field of Confederate philately,
Although Mr. Dietz willingly offered opinions on Confederate material submitted to him by members and non-members, it was not until 1946 that the Confederate Stamp Alliance formed an Authentication Committee. The first CSA Authentication Committee was appointed by the Trustees and consisted of three members; Colonel Lawrence W. Shenfield as Chairman, Colonel August Dietz, Sr., and Colonel Stanley B. Ashbrook. Today the Authentication Committee consists of 11 active members and General Billy Matz, Authentication Committee Member Emeritus, who review and offer opinions on more than two hundred Confederate philatelic items per year.
In 1951, the Trustees decided that election of officers should be every two years and by 1966 they established January 1st as the date that the terms of office would begin. As the organization continued to grow, in 1971, under the leadership of President Billy Matz, the office of Secretary-Treasurer was divided into two offices---namely that of the Secretary and the Treasurer. In 1993, under the leadership of President Peter Powell, the office of General Vice President was divided into two offices, namely the First Vice President and the Second Vice President. The First Vice President also assumed the duties as the Grievance Committee Chairman. Colonel William McCarren assumed the interim position as the first Second Vice President.
In the fall of 2005, the membership voted to once again change the make-up of the officers and trustees. As of January 2006, the governing body of the Alliance became a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and four trustees, effectively abolishing the regional vice president designations, which were often difficult to effectively manage. This first board consisted of President Jim Monroe, Vice President Trish Kaufmann, Secretary Rich Murphy and Treasurer Van Koppersmith, as well as 4 trustees.
With the increasing membership, the Trustees took steps to insure the organization remained financially sound, On January 15, 1968, the Confederate Stamp Alliance filed a Declaration of Incorporation in Tuscaloosa County of the State of Alabama to become a non-profit organization. In 1973, Colonel Gerald V. Stewart bequeathed his entire Confederate collection to the Alliance. The collection was sold at auction and the proceeds used to establish the Stewart Educational Trust Fund. This fund is used to make grants to members for educational and research projects, relative to Confederate philately. Similarly, in 1988, the Trustees established the General's Fund for Excellence, a permanent endowment to enhance and augment the research and publications of the Alliance.
In 1977, the Confederate Stamp Alliance was granted tax-exempt status. With its tax- exempt status the CSA has been the recipient of several gifts. The largest and most significant gift to date has been the Freeland-Hill-Gallagher Reference Collection. This virtually complete collection of Confederate fakes, forgeries, and fantasies formed by the late Rev. Paul B. Freeland, was provided to the CSA through the generosity of Colonel John R. Hill Jr. and Colonel Scott Gallagher.
In June 1978, the American Philatelic Society accepted the Confederate Stamp Alliance as an affiliate (No. 73) in their organization. This enabled the two organizations to share files for membership, authentication and recruiting. With the increasing material available for reference and research, in 1982 the Trustees chose the Wineburgh Philatelic Research Library as the official repository for the archives and research material of the Alliance. This library, located at the University of Texas at Richardson, has become the central resource for numerous books, pamphlets, periodicals, and manuscripts pertaining to Confederate postal history subjects,
Nearly 135 years after the Civil War, collectors of Confederate postal history are still attempting to understand many of the unusual and unique items that were used to convey mail during those difficult years. The study, research and collecting of the 14 Confederate general issue stamps, Postmaster Provisional stamps from more than 55 southern cities, hand-stamped rate markings from more than 770 southern cities, manuscript markings, patriotic covers, express mail, Prisoner-Of-War mail, blockade-run mail, and many other aspects of postal history have captured the interest many. Research projects and collections have focused on particular cities, particular stamps, particular markings, general Confederate postal history, soldier's mail, prisoner-of-war mail, and numerous other specialized and general areas of interests. Although it is estimated that less than one-half of one percent of the Confederate philatelic items (1 out of every 200) have survived for our research, enjoyment and collecting interests today, many spectacular items do exist and new finds are continuing to be made.
From its early beginnings, the Confederate Stamp Alliance has attracted many serious collectors and researchers of Confederate philately. From the 81 members in 1937, the CSA declined slightly during the years of World War II, but then steady grew by 1979 to more than 800 members from the United States and ten foreign countries. Today, many of the members of the CSA are the proud owners of the most highly prized and sought after gems in the philatelic world.
Official CSA Publications
Although published information on various aspects of Confederate philately dates back to the 1870’s, it wasn’t until the early 1920’s that authoritative information began to be published. August Dietz, Sr. an avid collector, researcher and writer of Confederate philately, is considered the Father of Confederate Philately. More detailed information on Dietz and prior publications will be available on the Alliance Website at csalliance.org in the history section.
Although, the Confederate Stamp Alliance was formed in 1935 at the suggestion of Dr. Marye Y. Dabney to August Dietz, there was no “official publication” in those first few years. Information to members was disseminated through Stamp and Cover Collecting, a monthly stamp journal edited by August Dietz.
The first publication exclusively for Alliance members was the Confederate Bulletin, a small pamphlet of 27 issues put out between early 1940 and August 1952. The first two issues were printed without a date. From September 1952 until February 1956, members of the Alliance obtained their official information from the monthly newsletters of the Secretary-Treasurer, Haydn Myer (September 1944 - August 1948) and Thomas W. Crigler (September 1948 - August 1959).
Beginning in February 1956, the Alliance again had its own monthly publication, the Confederate Stamp Album. Beginning in January 1960, the publication was renamed the Confederate Philatelist and continued as a monthly publication through April 1967. In May of 1967, the CP became a bi-monthly journal. In January 1972, the name of the publication was changed to The Confederate Philatelist, the name that it still retains. The Confederate Philatelist was reformatted to a larger size in January 2005 and became a quarterly publication.
Over the years, various newsletters were published periodically to inform the membership of upcoming activities. Newsletter editors included Haydn Myer, Tom Crigler, Frank Crown, Jerry Palazolo, Ron Tate, Rick Calhoun, Jim Monroe and currently Larry Baum.
Gen. Richard H. Byne was the first one to see the increasing value of the Internet and put up a simple one page Website for the Alliance on his own web space in late 1997 or early 1998. There was no domain name for it at the time.
When the CSA met in convention at the NAPEX show in 1998, the topic of Dick's Website came up at the General Business Meeting. The Internet was quite new at that time and many did not understand it. The CSA leadership at that time basically decided not to establish a formal official website. It was then that Dick approached Gen. John L. Kimbrough about taking over the Alliance site he had established. Gen. Byne felt that he did not have the knowledge or the capability to do a more extensive site other than a simple single page. He approached Gen. Kimbrough because he had already established his own commercial site in 1997 and knew how to construct and maintain a more detailed site.
In the summer of 1998, Gen. Kimbrough took over the Alliance Website from Gen. Byne and registered the current csalliance.org domain name. At that time, he established and designed an unofficial Alliance Website. Gen. Kimbrough donated the time, effort and web space. Thus the Website actually started out as an unofficial endeavor and did not receive official standing from the Alliance until a few years later when people began to realize that the Internet was not going away and was actually becoming a powerful tool.
Professional Website developer and CSA member Col. Randy Neil was hired to take over as the official Webmaster from 2004 until 2011 and maintained it free of charge for the Alliance. Col. Bob Rufenacht then took over the duties as our webmaster in 2011. Gen. Patricia A. Kaufmann, who also is proficient in Website development, continues to work in conjunction with Col. Rufenacht and supplies many of the current events and history for the site.
DID YOU KNOW?
Col. Alfred H. Benners (member #46) was the only member of the Confederate Stamp Alliance that served in the Confederate Army. We all wish that he was still with us today to hear first hand about the Great War.
Col./Mrs. Earle H Morris (member #249) was the daughter of famed Confederate Navy Captain Raphael Semmes.
Col. Frank A Holden (member #297) was the great-great-nephew of Confederate Vice President Alexander H. Stephens.
The CONFEDERATE STAMP ALLIANCE is a non-sectional, non-political organization for fraternity, research and cooperation among a choice group of hundreds of collectors of Confederate stamps, covers, and postal history. Email our webmaster with comments, suggestions and corrections.