Confederate Stamp Alliance Scholarships
The Confederate Stamp Alliance (CSA) is pleased to announce a scholarship for original research and analysis relating to the design and/or printing of a specific Confederate stamp issue(s), the Confederate Post Office Department, or an aspect of Confederate postal history. The scholarship is available for all academic, scientific and philatelic scholars. It is designed to enable one to spend an uninterrupted block of time doing research in libraries with Confederate States archives on their projects.
Applications are now being accepted for this scholarship. The scholarship, for a sum of up to $2,000, will be a contribution towards expenses including travel costs for a trip(s) to a library with Confederate States archives.
The result of the research will be publication either as an original article published in The Confederate Philatelist, chapter in a book, Ph.D. dissertation, or monograph.
Applications should include:
- an outline of the subject to be studied and how it relates to the applicant's previous philatelic, scientific, postal operations or postal history research;
- intentions as to publication of the results after completion of the project;
- an accurate costing of the trip(s), including places and organizations to be visited and collections to research; and,
- a short resume (including personal details, collecting interests, previous publications and philatelic achievements).
In evaluating submissions, the CSA scholarship committee will rely on the following criteria:
- What is its significance for our understanding of the history of Confederate postage stamps or the Confederate postal system?
- How original is its argument and is the proposal well written?
- How imaginative is its use of primary sources (e.g., archival materials, trade and professional journals)?
For additional information or the completed application should be emailed to Thomas Lera, Scholarship Chairman (email@example.com).